Bennett Illustration /Wasatch Greeting Cards

The Art of Gil Bennett

Howard Fogg's Paintings
I first met Howard on a train trip in 1984.  From that time until his passing we talked and corresponded about art, mostly his. He showed me some of his secrets, for which I am grateful, and told me a few things to help me along in my career.   As  I  improved Howard  as others likened  my work  to his.  We paint similarly as we use the same materials,  and even the same pallet (colors), but the work differs as to technique.  After his passing  in 1996,  I was a approached by collectors of Howard's  work asking if  I could touch  up  or repair some of  the damaged  paintings  that  they had located. I told them I  would do my best.   From  that  time I have  repaired  and or touched up between thirty and forty Fogg paintings both watercolors and oils.  Some are shown below.  
                                                                                                    

 

This painting came from the Clodfelter collection. The painting had been stored in a damp attic unprotected.  I was contacted asking if I could fix mold.  There was something growing on the painting and no one knew what it was.  I said, "I could give it a shot."  This would be the first Fogg I would repair.


This is how the finished painting turned out.  There are some subtle differences as the sky
was almost a total loss after taking off the mold.                                                                                    




This painting was from the same collection and too had some mold problems. Once I got the mold off, I noticed that Howard hadn't finished the painting. This is something that all artists go through.  We have the completed painting in our mind which fills in the parts that are missing on the painting.  Some of the lettering had faded over the years so I also re-lettered the locomotive and tender.                 


This is how it now looks.  The mold gone, lettering complete and the painting touched up.


This painting wasn't too bad. Some mold and water spots, other than that in good shape.
I did notice that Fogg had painted K-36 487 with its 1960's configuration with the compressor
exhaust next to the stack. I contacted the owner of the painting and asked if he would like me
to change the  locomotive to  the 481 circa   1947 as  Fogg had numbered the locomotive.   The
 owner  said to make it right, so, I eliminated the pump exhaust stack.                                                      


This is how the finished painting turned out.   Good as new with the correct locomotive
for the number painted!                                                                                                                            


This is a painting Howard did for the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers 1978 calendar.  Howard was able to choose the subject but instead of using the correct number of the locomotive, the year for which the calendar was to painted was to be used as the locomotive number.  The new owner of the painting wanted the correct road numbers instead of the calendar year.  So now we have an Erie S-3 locomotive 3338 instead of locomotive 1978.  Both numbers on the numer plate and cab were changed as well as any other touch up needed.


Contact Information:
Gil Bennett
PO Box 153
Lehi, UT 84043
801-766-0198


E mail me if you have questions about Howard Fogg's paintings or
general questions about Howard.
  

 

 

Website Builder